i51 HTTP-date vs. rfc1123-date, was: NEW ISSUE: date formats in BNF and spec text, was: RFC 2616 Errata: Misc. Typos

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Added as i51;
>   http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/issues/index.html#i51

I had an action item for this one:
<http://www.w3.org/2007/03/18-rfc2616-minutes.html#action22>.

So far I have only changed the ABNF as suggested
(<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-latest.html#rfc.issue.i51-http-date-vs-rfc1123-date>),
now it says:

        HTTP-date    = rfc1123-date ; for use by HTTP clients
                     | obsolete-date ; only allowed for recipients
        obsolete-date = rfc850-date | asctime-date

Question:

In Prague we also talked about adding an "explanatory note to BNF
section" -- was that meant to be a generic statement that the BNF
includes some productions that producers should not use? Any concrete
suggestions for text?

Feedback appreciated (please also verify the BNF comments I added).

Best regards, Julian