Re: Timezone information in HTTP

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:49:09 +0200
To: Stefanos Harhalakis <v13@priest.com>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
> On Friday 08 June 2007, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
>>>   Just realized that caching proxies should consider documents that were
>>> returned for different timezones as different. In other words, two
>>> requests with different Timezone headers should be considered different.
>>> This introduces an issue where two clients with different timezones ask
>>> for a document. Either the cache need to record the request TZ or the
>>> server side must return a header like 'Requested-Timezone' where the
>>> request timezone would be included.
>> Vary: Timezone
>
> Thank you (and Henrik) about this. I didn't knew about the Vary header. I
> added this to the draft. Since there was no further feedback I changed the
> timezone string from POSIX to RFC3339 time-zone, as you suggested.
>
> I've some more questions:
>
> a) What is the proper procedure for working on this draft? Should this be
> submitted by the WG instead of me?

There is no WG (yet), and even if there would be one it probably
wouldn't be in scope of the charter.

But it *is* good to discuss it here. For instance, I'm not convinced
it's the right approach; HTML5 is adding markup to allow user agents to
do smarter things with time information.

> b) I've added you to the Acknowledgement section. Is this correct or should
> you be listed in the authors?

No, that's fine. I just tryng to by helpful to get the format and the
editorial issues right.

Here's another one: I think currently the spec is not clear about
whether it uses the RFC2616 or the RFC4234 ABNF format...

Best regards, Julian