Re: Straw-man charter for http-bis

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:26:42 -0400
To: Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com>
CC: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@imc.org>, Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

>  I think that *mandating* that we use
> SSL (or some similar connection-oriented security mechanism) for *all*
> Web traffic is going to kill everyone.
IETF has no means of doing that anyway.  The most we can do is make
recommendations.  So when we use the word "deprecate" it just means we
are withdrawing our previous recommendation to use something.  We don't
pretend we can stop users from doing something that make sense to them,
or even that we can stop users from doing things that make no sense at
all.

Keith