Re: Straw-man charter for http-bis

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 11:26:15 -0400
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Paul Hoffman <phoffman@imc.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Considering the scope of 2616bis is errata, and explicitly not new
> features/mechanisms, I'm not sure I follow. Do you think that
> designing new auth mechanisms will expose new errata?
>
> My initial thought is that it's much more likely that it'll require
> who new features, or no changes to HTTP at all.
I think it likely that some minor enhancements to HTTP will be needed by
a new authentication method.  However I don't know that this would
require an update to the base HTTP specification; a separate document
might be sufficient.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that a separate working
group for HTTP security is needed.  This work should not need to be
critical path for httpbis.