Re: Straw-man charter for http-bis

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:26:30 +0200
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@imc.org>
CC: Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Splitting my previous question into two:
>
> a) Will this WG consider clarifications and revisions to main-line
> HTTP-related RFCs, most notably the security ones?
>
> b) Will this WG consider new extensions to HTTP outside the main documents?

My preferred answer to both is "no", because I really doubt that we'll
be able to finish in a reasonable amount of time.

> If the answer to (a) is "no", then we need a second WG, which will
> likely have a lot of membership overlap. To me, that seems non-optimal.

I do agree that RFC2617 needs a revision as well, I'm just not sure that
we currently have the right people to do it. If a BOF would show that
there are people willing to work on this (and implementors willing to
update their products), then fine...

> I'm OK either way with (b), but hope that if the answer is "yes" that
> they aren't even considered until all the other work is done first.

Best regards, Julian