Re: NEW ISSUE: classifying and updating informative references

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Understanding these documents is required in order to understand the
>> coding values defined for the coding registry established and used by
>> the document; why would it be appropriate to cite them as informative?

>I guess the reasoning is that RFC2616 compliant software does not need to
>support content encodings "gzip" or "deflate".

But it is not optional to implement them in accordance with the relevant
specifications, and the IESG notes in [1]:

  Normative references specify documents that must be read to understand
  or implement the technology in the new RFC, or whose technology must
  be present for the technology in the new RFC to work.
  Note 1: Even references that are relevant only for optional features
  must be classified as normative if they meet the above conditions for
  normative references.

Unless we change the registry part of the draft in some way, I think the
references need to be normative.

  [1] http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/iesg-statement-normative-informative-references.txt