Re: ETags vs Variants, was: Revising RFC2616 - what's happening

On 11/5/06, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> wrote:

> While it can be a little painful to live with a deprecation period,
> it ends at some point, and I can't see how the deprecation period
> would be worse than the situation Henrik described as the current
> reality.

You're deprecating a feature people actually use, so the result is
much worse than the current reality. I understand why the header is
difficult for Henrik, because Squid is designed to be placed between
parties it knows nothing about. Caches that have more out-of-band
information, such as AOL's or Django's, have an easier time with it.

--

Robert Sayre