Re: ETags vs Variants, was: Revising RFC2616 - what's happening

From: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:13:54 -0500
To: "Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@squid-cache.org>, "Jamie Lokier" <jamie@shareable.org>, "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On 11/5/06, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> wrote:

> While it can be a little painful to live with a deprecation period,
> it ends at some point, and I can't see how the deprecation period
> would be worse than the situation Henrik described as the current
> reality.

You're deprecating a feature people actually use, so the result is
much worse than the current reality. I understand why the header is
difficult for Henrik, because Squid is designed to be placed between
parties it knows nothing about. Caches that have more out-of-band
information, such as AOL's or Django's, have an easier time with it.

--

Robert Sayre