Re: [Ietf-http-auth] Updating RFC 2617 (HTTP Digest) to use UTF-8

Lisa Dusseault schrieb:

> I would expect that any new Proposed Standard RFC would have to take
> into account the heightened expectations around mandatory-to-implement
> security technologies.  Updates to previous RFCs would not necessarily
> be immune to that.  I believe it's very important to clarify what HTTP
> clients and servers do need to support to provide adequate security for
> modern applications -- HTTP is hardly immune to attacks, and
> authentication technology is one of the failing pieces here which allows
> those attacks.  See for example the discussion at the Web Authentication
> Enhancements BoF at the last IETF
> <http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/index.html>.

Well, if the IESG expects a revision to RFC2616 to step into the area
covered by RFC2617, then I must agree with Robert that it's probably not
worth trying, and that less harm is done by sticking to whatever RFC2616
is saying today.

Best regards, Julian