Re: [Ietf-http-auth] Updating RFC 2617 (HTTP Digest) to use UTF-8

I would expect that any new Proposed Standard RFC would have to take
into account the heightened expectations around mandatory-to-
implement security technologies.  Updates to previous RFCs would not
necessarily be immune to that.  I believe it's very important to
clarify what HTTP clients and servers do need to support to provide
adequate security for modern applications -- HTTP is hardly immune to
attacks, and authentication technology is one of the failing pieces
here which allows those attacks.  See for example the discussion at
the Web Authentication Enhancements BoF at the last IETF <http://
www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/index.html>.

Lisa