Re: [Ietf-http-auth] Updating RFC 2617 (HTTP Digest) to use UTF-8

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:08:11 +0200
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: HTTP authentication list <ietf-http-auth@osafoundation.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>Speaking of which, where does HTML come into play here? We're talking
>about HTTP authentication ā la RFC2617, not HTML forms based login.

For HTML form submissions, unless the author indicated something else,
web browsers tend to use the character encoding of the document that in-
cludes the form to encode the characters; they could apply the same
logic to the submission of credentials when there is such a document
(e.g., the user clicked a link to a HTTP Auth protected page, the page
with the link could then be used to determine some encoding). Based on
my limited testing, I found this to be not the case.
--
Björn Höhrmann ˇ mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de ˇ http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 ˇ Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 ˇ http://www.bjoernsworld.de