Re: Etag-on-write, 2nd attempt (== IETF draft 01)

Lisa Dusseault schrieb:
> It's technically correct to say that servers are allowed to rewrite
> content.  However, existing deployed offline-cache clients assume that
> they do not.  Thus, it would be a seriously beneficial feature and
> possibly a requirement of new work to have backward-compatibility with
> that assumption, whether it was a wise assumption or not -- it's a
> deployed assumption.

Lisa,

a) if deployed clients make that assumption, and HTTP says that's an
incorrect assumption, this problem needs to be resolved, unless you can
demonstrate that these clients indeed work with all deployed servers
(which they wouldn't).

b) as far as I can recall we had the very same discussion and you failed
to come up with a deployed client making that assumption (see
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2006AprJun/0094.html>).

Best regards, Julian