Default Charsets

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:19:26 -0700
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

2616 Section 3.7.1 states;

> When no explicit charset parameter is provided by the sender, media
> subtypes of the "text" type are defined to have a default charset
> value of "ISO-8859-1" when received via HTTP.

However, many, if not all, of the text/* media types define their own
defaults; text/plain (RFC2046), for example, defaults to ASCII, as
does text/xml (RFC3023).

How do these format-specific defaults interact with HTTP's default?
Is HTTP really overriding them?

I'm far from the first to be confused by this text, and I'm sure it's
been asked before, but I haven't been able to find a definitive
answer. If errata are still being considered, perhaps removing/
modifying this line would be a good start...

Thanks,

--
Mark Nottingham
mnot@yahoo-inc.com