Changing PUT's idempotency after the fact [was: WebDav methods and idempotency]

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:50:56 -0800
To: HTTP working group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

It *appears* that RFC3253 changes the idempotency of PUT; is this
allowed? RFC3253 doesn't update or obsolete 2616...

I can see a situation where a 3253-naive client decides to retry a
timed-out PUT (after all, it's idempotent) and gets some side effects
it didn't bargain for. Not a *huge* problem that happens every day, but
it's a bit worrisome.

Thoughts?

Begin forwarded message: