Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

From: Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen@topicmapping.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:06:06 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, CalDAV DevList <ietf-caldav@osafoundation.org>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote

> Because in general, I will have no idea what the server will do with
> the POST.

Hmm...the meaning of POST is that the server will process the message.
If you receive a 201,
the server has created a resource.

What is the use case that does not work with these sementics of POST but
that would work
with ADDMEMBER?

I recall that there was a similar discussion on rest-discuss regarding
POST vs QUERY (query
having the semantics of 'process query and send 201 to refer to the
resource that is the query result).

Mark and Roy had a similar exchange like in this thread. I am somewhere
in between; I see Mark's point
but I lack the in-depth understanding (especially I have no practical
experience with the difference).

Jan

--
Jan Algermissen