Re: HTTP PUT method variations

From: Scott Lawrence <scott@skrb.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:02:17 -0500
To: Michel Drescher <Michel.Drescher@web.de>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 14:26 +0000, Michel Drescher wrote:
> Dear working group,
>
> I am exploring the capabilities of the HTTP protocol for implementing
> parallel data distribution using established protocols.

As you correctly illustrated, HTTP can (and is) used to 'pull' data in
parallel requests.

Trying to overload PUT in the way you describe is more or less sure to
fail as soon as you encounter a server that doesn't understand it.  That
being the case, you are better off defining a body type for what you
want to do and using POST.

--
Scott Lawrence <scott@skrb.org>
http://skrb.org/scott/