Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

From: Cyrus Daboo <daboo@isamet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:05:26 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
cc: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, CalDAV DevList <ietf-caldav@osafoundation.org>

Hi Julian,

--On February 17, 2005 2:54:38 PM +0100 Julian Reschke
<julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> 1) CalDav's approach is: use PUT to an arbitrary member URI of the
> container; then let the server automagically move it somewhere else, and
> report that in the Location response header
> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-addmember-00.html#r
> fc.section.A.2>).

I want to add that in the CalDAV case this URI naming restriction will also
apply to COPY and MOVE methods too, not just PUT. So we do need to come up
with a solution that at least works with those methods too. Of course it is
possible to emulate COPY and MOVE using PUT (client downloads original
data, creates it in new location) and DELETE (remove old data in the case
of MOVE) - but we should really have the proper atomic operations for this.

--
Cyrus Daboo