Re: PATCH thoughts...

From: Jeffrey Mogul <Jeff.Mogul@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:32:53 -0700
To: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Cc: Justin Chapweske <justin@chapweske.com>, lisa@osafoundation.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

    Is there a binary delta format being used, or planned, for delta
    transmission of cached documents?

    What I mean is that if I have a cached entity with etag "abcdefg", and
    I request it with If-None-Match, then maybe a server or cache could
    send me the delta between what I have and the current entity - just to
    reduce bandwidth.

    If there's such a standard being proposed or even still being
    designed, it would probably be good to pick the same binary delta
    format.

IETF Proposed Standards:
    RFC3229: Delta encoding in HTTP
	    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3229.txt

    RFC3284: The VCDIFF Generic Differencing and Compression Data Format
	    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3284.txt

RFC3229 lists a few other possible formats, but vcdiff seems
to be the consensus (among experts in the area) for the best
choice.

-Jeff