BNF inconsistency in Language tag in RFC2616

From: Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:05:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: Roy Fielding <roy.fielding@day.com>, Jeffrey Mogul <jeff.mogul@hp.com>, Scott Lawrence <scott@skrb.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

In the process of preparing a draft of the spec for full standard,
(yes,  Petunia, we should get this puppy to full standard someday,
hopefully soon) and checking updated references,
I uncovered the following inconsistency:

RFC 1766, which is referenced by RFC 2616 section 3.10 as the source
for its definition of language tags has a BNF has been updated
by RFC3066 (a BCP).

RFC 3066 defines these as:

    Language-Tag = Primary-subtag *( "-" Subtag )
    Primary-subtag = 1*8ALPHA
    Subtag = 1*8(ALPHA / DIGIT)

HTTP/1.1 RFC 2616 defines these as:
        language-tag  = primary-tag *( "-" subtag )
        primary-tag   = 1*8ALPHA
        subtag        = 1*8ALPHA

Is there any danger in relaxing the HTTP BNF to remove the
inconsistency (the hob-goblin of small minds :-))?
                               - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>
HP Labs, Cambridge Research Laboratory