Problems with caching header values

From: Wilfred Nilsen <wilfred.nilsen@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:30:44 -0700
To: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

I have a page that is generated dynamically and I therefore set the
"Cache-Control: No-Cache" header. The page contains a meta refresh tag
and is automatically polled every so often.

The page contains links to images that never change so in order to
prevent the browser from attempting to fetch new versions of the
images, I set the header value "Cache-Control: max-age=86400". The
problem is that the browsers I have tested this with, IE 6.0 and
Mozilla 1.13, seems to ignore the max-age header value and are always
checking for newer versions. The browsers are set to get a new page
when the current page is out of date.

I also tried to set the "Expires" header but that did not help either.

Thanks,
Wilfred