Re: mistake in section 8.1.2 of RFC2616?

From: Scott Lawrence <scott-http@skrb.org>
Date: 30 Apr 2003 12:57:13 -0400
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Cc: Pierre Phaneuf <pphaneuf@nit.ca>

Pierre Phaneuf <pphaneuf@nit.ca> writes:

> In section 8.1.2, you can read the following:
> > Once a close has been signaled, the client MUST NOT send any more
> > requests on that connection.
> Is it just me, or that "MUST NOT" would forbid pipelining? A pipelining
> client MAY send more requests, but they will be ignored by the server and
> it should be prepared to that possibility (section mentions that a
> client MUST be prepared to the server closing the connection before it
> handled them all).

It doesn't forbid it, but it makes some additional work for the
client: Pipelining

     [...] Clients MUST also be prepared to resend their requests if
     the server closes the connection before sending all of the
     corresponding responses.

Scott Lawrence
  Actively seeking work
  [ <lawrence@world.std.com> is deprecated ]