Re: mistake in section 8.1.2 of RFC2616?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:41:41 -0600 (MDT)
To: Pierre Phaneuf <pphaneuf@nit.ca>
cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:

> In section 8.1.2, you can read the following:
>
> > Once a close has been signaled, the client MUST NOT send any more
> > requests on that connection.
>
> Is it just me, or that "MUST NOT" would forbid pipelining? A pipelining
> client MAY send more requests, but they will be ignored by the server
> and it should be prepared to that possibility (section 8.1.2.2 mentions
> that a client MUST be prepared to the server closing the connection
> before it handled them all).

This is not meant to prevent pipelining. In this context, you should
interpret the above RFC wording as "once the close signal has been
received by the client, the client MUST NOT send any more requests on
that connection." as opposed to your current interpretation of "once
the close signal has been sent by the server, the client ..."

HTH,

Alex.

--
www.measurement-factory.com | HTTP compliance+ - Co-Advisor test suite