Re: cookies history

Gyula Lanyi wrote:
> Hi, my name is Tunde (I am a student) and I'm doing a research about
> cookies. So far, I've got lots of information about them, but I couldn't
> figure out who invented it and when, and what was its original purpose.
> If you, please, can help me, how and where to find out more about the
> "cookie-history", I would be very thankful.

The short answer to your question is that Lou Montulli invented cookies
at Netscape sometime in 1994 to facilitate electronic commerce applications.

I suggest two resources:

1) The Cookie Central web site (cookiecentral.com) contains lots of
information about cookies, though I don't see any specific section on
history.

2) My paper, "HTTP Cookies:  Standards, Privacy, and Politics,"
available at <http://arXiv.org/abs/cs.SE/0105018> (and published in
roughly the same form in ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, Vol.1,
#2, Nov., 2001) covers the evolution of the HTTP standard, which isn't
exactly what you want.  (However, look at the first section of the
Appendix.)

Dave Kristol