Re: RFC2616 errata: HTTP-Version should be case-sensitive

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:59:42 -0700
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>

> Apache server and some proxies seem to handle "http/" just fine.

No, they don't.  It just seems that way because you have no means of
determining their internal interpretation.  Apache will consider the
client to be a broken HTTP/1.0, or simply respond in HTTP/0.9.

>> Doing so is a waste of cycles.
>
> True, but so are many (if not most) of the HTTP parsing requirements.
> I would think that errata is for fixing errors, not optimizing.

Errata is for fixing specification errors.  Given that I wrote that
section of the specification, I know it is an error, and therefore it
is errata unless someone can explain why it is a necessary "feature".

....Roy