Re: RFC2616 errata: HTTP-Version should be case-sensitive

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Personally, I never had any intention that the "HTTP" be
> case-insensitive, and I am not aware of any clients that send it
> lowercase, nor any server that would accept it as lowercase.

Apache server and some proxies seem to handle "http/" just fine.

> Doing so is a waste of cycles.

True, but so are many (if not most) of the HTTP parsing requirements.
I would think that errata is for fixing errors, not optimizing.

If you disagree, should "implied LWS" and similar WasteOfCycles
requirements then be removed to optimize and simplify parsing?  Most
clients don't use and most, if not all, implementations fail to
support related BNFs anyway.

In the ideal world, I would support such simplifications, but it seems
to me that changing the existing protocol in such a way without also
changing the version number is not a good idea. There are already
several "subsubversions" of HTTP/1.1 that we have to deal with.

$0.02,

Alex.

--
www.measurement-factory.com | HTTP compliance+ - Co-Advisor test suite