RE: Entities

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:49:00 -0700
To: "'Kim Horne'" <kim@pookzilla.com>, <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

> "A message-body MUST NOT be included in a request if the specification

> of the request method (section 5.1.1) does not allow sending an
> entity-body in requests."

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Issues/BeforeLastCall.html
issue 119 "MESSAGE-BODY",
and thread started with
http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/hypermail/1997q3/0393.html

It looks like we didn't actually close this issue well enough,
since it's still being raised. Certainly the archive record is that
the intent was (for compatibility) to disallow bodies for
GET, HEAD and DELETE, but possibly allow bodies on other
methods unless explicitly disallowed (for extensibility's
sake).