Re: HTTP headers

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:38:09 -0600 (MDT)
To: rajmahendra Hedge <rajmahendrah@yahoo.co.in>
cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, [iso-8859-1] rajmahendra Hedge wrote:

> I need to define a new HTTP header for communciation between my
> Server application, and other client application which connect to
> my Server application.  If there is no official way to register
> HTTP header names, is it enough that I decide on the header name,
> and its value, etc? And let know my client applications about this
> new header through documentation?

Yes. You may want to name your header field starting with "X-" to
avoid possible but unlikely collisions with [future] "official" header
field names and to follow a tradition. For example:

You probably want to keep the value syntax simple so that
intermediaries do not have trouble parsing or forwarding the values.
If possible, avoid things like quoted strings with special delimiters
inside, etc.

If you header has a hop-by-hop semantics (see RFC 2616), you must list
it in the Connection: header field.

> I need not register it anywhere now, isn't it?

You do not need to register it.

HTH,

Alex.