RE: Question on proxy/client behaviour

> From: Keith Hoffman <hoffmankeith@hotmail.com>
> To: http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: Question on proxy/client behaviour

> The proxy server in question is http 1.0 compatible.  When a
> client sends a http 1.1 request it will modify it to use http
> 1.0 going to the web server.  The web server responds fine to
> the request, but when the proxy forwards the response to the
> client, the client doesn't show the web page.

> I have traced this and found that proxy is dropping the tcp PUSH
> flag from SOME of the response packets coming back from the
> server.  These "bad" packets only have the tcp ACK flag.
> Response packets that are read ok by the client contain both the
> PUSH and ACK flags.

The TCP PUSH flag shouldn't have any effect on which parts of the
response the client sees (for some implementations it's possible
that it would affect the size and timing of the reads, but in the
end there should be no difference).  Look for some other
difference.

--
Scott Lawrence      Director of R & D        <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems   Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/