Non-transparent proxies and the Vary header field

In section 14.44 (Vary header fields), I'm not sure I understand the
reasoning behind the rule that says: 'The "*" value MUST NOT be generated by
a proxy server,'

Looking back through the discussions, I see that Koen Holtman asked the same
question (a long, long time ago) but I couldn't find any responses that
addressed the issue.

Can anyone shed some light on the justification behind the requirement?

Thanks,
Ed Windes, Spyglass, Inc., (ewindes@spyglass.com)

[ snip, snip ... ]