Re: Two questions

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:24:36 +0100 (MET)
To: tchao@alteon.com (Tim Chao)
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

>2.   When a user is using a Web browser , the "Reload" in netscape
>       or the"Refresh" in IE is pressed, what's the policy the browser
>       to use about when to start with a new connection( SYN issued
>first).
>       or to start with just a HTTP request( ACK push)?

There are no TCP/IP level or connection level policies implied as far
as I know.  The implied policy is to get the page again, and get a
copy fresh from the origin server, without any intermediate cached
copy being used instead.  This implies that a new HTTP request has to be
sent, but not necessarily that an existing persistent connection has
to be broken.

Hope this helps,

Koen.