Re: Browser support for request pipelining

From: Patrik Winroth <patrik@bluetail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:44:46 +0100
To: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
CC: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
I have performed some limited tests while developing our
Web Robustifier.
I found that Netscape Navigator 4.61/Linux doesn't support
pipelining as per RFC2616. It does however pipeline if
you browse a Netscape Enterprise server. I assume it is using
the explicit Keep-Alive (RFC2616:19.6.2) method.
Internet Explorer v4.72.3110 does support RFC2616 pipelining
though, I have tested browsing Apache/1.3.9/Linux.
Trying to browse the same Netscape Enterprise server (with IE)
that supported 'Keep-Alive' pipelining when browsed with the
Netscape Navigator did not result in a pipelined connection
though.

These are just my limited findings, so far. It would be nice
if anyone else had more extensive tests to share.

Cheers,

/Patrik.