Re: Chunking and trailers (IMPORTANT question for implementers)

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 20:30:19 +0000
To: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Cc: http-wg@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Jim Gettys wrote:

> We've come across a protocol interoperability problem with chunking and
> trailers; Jeff Mogul is working on a description of this problem for the
> working group and discussion of the possible fixes (it is subtle enough
> to want a careful exposition). He hopes to have it out in the next couple
> days.
> ...if the situation never exists in any deployed code, then
> the simplest, cleanest fix involves outlawing the protocol condition that
> can generate the problem in the first place).
> If so, please respond ASAP.  Otherwise, this exception might
> be removed from the final draft of the specification.

Not in deployed code, no - because I'm implementing it now (in between
reading IDs for the Chicago meeting).  Taking it out creates a problem too -
that's why I (and others) thought that the exception for Authentication-Info
should be there in the first place (I don't care about Content-MD5).

--
Scott Lawrence           Consulting Engineer      <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.  Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/