Re: Drawbacks of persistent connections

From: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:48:50 -0700
To: "J.P. Martin-Flatin" <martin-flatin@epfl.ch>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

> Sender: jpmf@tcomhp20.epfl.ch
> From: "J.P. Martin-Flatin" <martin-flatin@epfl.ch>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 01:44:25 +0200
> To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
> Cc: martin-flatin@epfl.ch
> Subject: Drawbacks of persistent connections
> -----
> Section 8.1.1 may come across as slightly biaised, because it lists only
> advantages of persistent connections. In practice, these are balanced by
> drawbacks. For instance, if the timeout value of persistent connections is
> larger than the TCP connection timeout, denial-of-service attacks are more
> effective: by using up all possible connections, a malicious user can
> prevent access to a targeted server for a longer period of time. Perhaps a
> quick mention of this issue would make sense in section 8.1.4 (Practical
> Considerations)?

The denial of service attack is the same between persistent connections and
non-persistent connections.  I can see no difference between the two situations;
the attacker does exactly the same thing in either case, with the same result.

In general, denial of service attacks are very difficult to deal with.
			- Jim