Re: ISSUE: Expect Header Field Problem

David W. Morris wrote:

> The problem starts with the fact we've carefully never acknowledged
> the CGI interface as being part of HTTP.  What I think is needed is a
> MUST requirement that a HTTP server never delegate handling of any
> method other then GET, HEAD, or POST to any part of the server which
> isn't known to understand / properly handle the unknown method.

I think that crosses the line from being a protocol spec to being a
functional spec for a server, which it should not try to be.  There are few
cases where we have put in requirements outside the wire protocol, but they
are mostly governing caching to preserve correctness, or are related to the
security behaviours.

>From the point of view of this spec, "the server" is whatever is generating
the response to a request - it encompasses the CGI or *API program, and
those components are as much bound by its requirements as any other part.
Yes, I understand the real world implications of this - and I believe that
those working on a new CGI spec do too.

--
Scott Lawrence           Consulting Engineer      <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.  Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/