RE: Implications of introducing new scheme and port for existing HTTP servers

From: Vinod Valloppillil (Exchange) <vinodv@exchange.microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:13:44 +0100 (BST)
To: 'Rob Polansky' <polansky@raptor.com>, "David W. Morris" <dwm@xpasc.com>
Cc: http-wg <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>, ipp@pwg.org
Rob's argument is broadly correct -- as a long term firewall design issue,
method inspection (and occasionally payload inspection) will become the
rule.

However, as a small carrot to today's protocol designers, the vast majority
of the installed base of firewalls do no method / payload inspection on HTTP
data being passed through.   Purely from the perspective of 'reach' there's
no impediment to IPP using it's own method in the short run.