Re: ISSUE: Expect Header Field Problem

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:06:37 -0700
To: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
>In what sense, Henrik?  My server responds with Expectation Failed if you
>send a token in Expect: that it doesn't recognize...
>
>Yes, this was not in 2068, but this is not the only thing we've added.
>
>I believe that the MUST should stand; making it a SHOULD renders the Expect
>feature almost useless.

We cannot do that and still call it HTTP/1.1.  The protocol versioning
rules exist to prevent the HTTP-WG from screwing over early implementers
of the protocol, such that the protocol can be deployed and remain
interoperable even though some definitions and requirements will,
by necessity, change over time.

....Roy