Re: Implications of introducing new scheme and port for exis

From: <Dominic.Chambers@mimesweeper.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:56:10 +0100 (BST)
To: http-wg-request@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
     I would agree with Josh Cohen and David Morris that introducing a new
     URL scheme will affect proxies and is a bad idea. I also agree with
     David Morris that a new HTTP scheme should be avoided for the same
     reasons.

     Using a new default port is okay. The stuff about firewalls being
     affected is true to the extent that they also had to be opened up for
     the default ports used for other protocols - It really isn't a big
     hassle reconfiguring them.

     However, I side with David Morris in questioning the need distinguish
     between IPP and HTTP. Is there one?

     Dominic

     As a private person