Re: ISSUE: Returning metainformation on a 201 (Created) response

From: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:23:46 -0700
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com, dmk@research.bell-labs.com, paulle@microsoft.com

a) I'm nervous about adding anything like this at this date.  I'd be happier
with a separate RFC describing what should happen...  This should have
been dealt with months ago.

b) 4) seems a gross hack to me, adding another HEAD class special case
to the protocol.

c) I suggest (described in a separate ID) a new header that conveys the
ETAG.  This solves the race condition.  To get any additional metadata
that might have changed, you'd perform a HEAD right after the PUT.

d) you should go see if the WEBDAV folks have worried about this case;
they are sloppy enough they may have missed it, but then again, they
may have found it and have another fix for it...

	One person's opinion...,

				- Jim