Re: Minutes of HTTP/1.1 editorial teleconference, July 23, 1998

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 18:37:21 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com, frystyk@w3.org, masinter@parc.xerox.com, paulle@microsoft.com, mogul@pa.dec.com, lawrence@agranat.com, fielding@ics.uci.edu, dmk@research.bell-labs.com
Jim Gettys:

[...]
>* h6a  MISTAKES
[...]
>b) The consensus was the invalidation was in fact correct, has been a
>requirement for a long time given language existing even in 1945, and
>it would be dangerous to remove it.  At least, that is what I remember
>while in the basement with a scared 3 year old near by over the static
>in the phone.

Needless to say I disagree with the consensus of the phone
conference.  I can't find any language about this matter in 1945 or
2068, so please point me to it.  Also, the requirement has no teeth
anyway because a system is always free to act as a tunnel, not as a
cache, for certain requests.

I could change my mind about this issue if someone would provide some
evidence that current practice actually conforms to the proposed new
requirment.  As far as I know currently deployed systems do not, and
the new requirement would only shorten the useful lifetime of the
protocol.

Koen.