Re: Non-order processing in persistent connections

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 09:49:36 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Josh Cohen <joshco@microsoft.com>
Cc: ZhouKang@cheerful.com, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Josh Cohen:

>Thanks for your comments.   Out of order responses in HTTP is a topic
>which has come up more than a few times.  I beleive that most people
>agree that out of order responses or transacation identification would
>be a good thing.  However, specifying exactly how this would behave
>isn't a simple task.  I think that because of this, the consensus is
>that it is beyond the scope of the 1.1 version of HTTP.
>That doesn't mean the future versions of http wouldn't have this,
>but http/1.1 is "feature complete" at this point.

Yes, going beyond pipelining was generally considered too complex to
put in http/1.1.

I'd like to add though that, as far as I know, most people do not
consider out-of-order responses to be the logical next step in
improving 1.1.  The preferred next step seems to be to add
multiplexing of several HTTP connections over a single TCP connection.
Multiplexing has some additional advantages over out-of-order
this direction.

Koen.