Re: HTTP features w/ low 'implemented' and 'tested'

From: <rlgray@raleigh.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:52:05 EST
To: HTTP Working Group <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>
** Reply to note from Ronald.Tschalaer@psi.ch (Life is hard... and then you die.) Mon, 30 Mar 1998 00:20:01 +0200

Imagine for a moment that I have a proxy server.
I start to fetch a page for a client, and return the headers.
There are many objects that don't come with Content-Length (e.g. FTP).

If it is not cacheable I won't buffer it; even if it is cacheable, the
first client doesn't get a Content-Length because I don't buffer the
entire object before sending the response (to reduce latency).

Imagine the request times out, or a shark eats the trans-Atlantic cable
the object is being transfered over, or whatever.  Now, I have to close
the connection to the client, who recieves a truncated object with no
indication of an error (until he tries to use it and finds it is
corrupted).  There is no possiblity of reporting what the problem is
either.

> > 10.4.9 408 Request Timeout
> > (server) would like to have general trailer for this
>
> I don't understand this one. Is a new header field wanted? If so, what
> would be gained?
>

>   Cheers,
>
>   Ronald

Richard L. Gray