Re: comments on draft-ietf-http-authentication-01.txt

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 13:54:23 -0500
To: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>
Cc: "HTTP-WG@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com" <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>, "'Ronald.Tschalaer@psi.ch'" <Ronald.Tschalaer@psi.ch>

>> From: 	Ronald.Tschalaer@psi.ch[SMTP:Ronald.Tschalaer@psi.ch]

>> Also, sending the Authorization header unnecessarily is likely to reduce
>> the cachability of many pages, thereby further increasing the traffic
>> (how many responses currently contain the cache-control directive s-maxage
>> or public? How quickly will this change?).

PL> It is worth adding a note that origin servers that receive requests with
PL> Authorization headers when authorization is not needed SHOULD send back
PL> explicit cache-control directives to allow the page to be cached.

  Our server always sends a cache-control header to any 1.1 request so
  that it is explicit.

  The really interesting question (from our perspective) is 'how soon
  will the proxies and clients use it'?

Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/