Re: Feedback on: draft-cohen-http305306-02.txt

From: Josh Cohen <josh@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 18:38:14 -0700
To: "David W. Morris" <dwm@xpasc.com>
Cc: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
David W. Morris wrote:

Dave, thanks for the comments, Ive added your minor editing changes
as well as the following specific things you raised.

>  1.3 506 Redirection Failed
>
>    The 506 response is returned when a redirection fails or is refused
>    by a proxy or client.  If the redirection response included a body,
>    then it SHOULD be included in the 506 response.
>
> **DWM:  This and the earlier discussion of 506 is confusing at best.
> **DWM:  Who exactly is the client returning 506 to? In normal HTTP
> **DWM:  lingo the client receives responses, it doesn't send them.
Ive added the following text:

This response is returned by a proxy, to a downstream proxy or
client, when it cannot or chooses not to honor a redirection.

> **DWM:  I can't make sense out of either the syntax description or
> **DWM:  the words below for what you mean to provide syntactically
> **DWM:  or semantically for URIpattern. So other than to say that
> **DWM:  I don't understand, I can't offer a suggestion.

Ive added these examples:

An example header:
    Set-proxy: SET ; proxyURI = "http://proxy.me.com:8080/",
	scope="http://", seconds=5

 Scope Meaning: all URLS beginning with "http://"

Another example header:
    Set-proxy: SET ; proxyURI = "http://proxy.me.com:8080/",
	scope="http://*.ups.com/", seconds=5

 Scope Meaning: all URLS beginning which are for
  hosts in the ups.com domain.

Josh Cohen <josh@netscape.com>		      Netscape Communications Corp.
http://people.netscape.com/josh/
                                "You can land on the sun, but only at night"