Re: First draft of negotiation requirements document

From: Ted Hardie <hardie@thornhill.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:58:00 -0700
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>, Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: hardie@nic.nasa.gov, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com, lawrence@agranat.com
On Jun 18,  6:39pm, Larry Masinter wrote:
> Subject: Re: First draft of negotiation requirements document
> > Maybe it is better to just include a reference to
> > section 4.4 of the TCN draft.
> >

> WAIT! It's critical that the requirements document be completely
> independent description of the problem, without making any
> reference to one proposed solution.
>
> Larry
> --
> http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter
>-- End of excerpt from Larry Masinter

What exactly are the boundaries?  May I make reference to the TCN
draft as a proposal which embodies certain technical features?  If
Section 5.2.1 said:

"....This basic form presumes a least common denominator for presentation
of the links and an active user selecting among the presentations.  More
complex versions of elective negotiation might use HTTP protocol elements
to present the axes of variation for a particular resource ("Transparent
Content Negotiation in HTTP" [2] is one such proposal)."

		regards,
			Ted Hardie
			NASA NIC