Re: Q: About transmission schemes ?

From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 18:07:08 +0100
To: HTTP workgroup <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Andreas Brusinsky wrote:

> >From what does it depend how HTTP transmits special MIME typed data?
> I mean are there different transmission schemes used (e.g. connection
> oriented, connection free, error tolerant ..)
> If there are different schemes used is then the transmission
> automaticaly
> be delegated to a different protocoll or are there really different
> transmission schemes implemented within HTTP.

Although HTTP can nominally be used over different protocols, currently
HTTP as we know it is always over TCP.

> Is the QUALITY specifier in an ACCEPT Method really implemented?
> I mean if HTTP is build on top of tcp then transmission should be
> save in any case. So if I would specify a q<1 it would be of no use as
>
> long the transmission is done by HTTP.

You misunderstand the purpose of quality - it defines your preference
for particular content types, not the QoS (which is what I suspect you
are getting at).

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
ben@algroup.co.uk