Re: OPTIONS method

From: Josh <josh@netscape.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 07:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
> >Is there a header that can be passed with an OPTIONS method request
> >to probe for protocol support of a feature?
> >
> >query: foobar
> Not yet.  It would be a good project to come up with a complete definition
> of OPTIONS (the existing one is only a skeleton for future extension)
> including both the request and the response format.  I wouldn't do it
> as a header field, though.
Why not?

> There is a good reason why requests can
> contain bodies, and those bodies have a type, encoding, etc.
I dont understand the context of this sentence.

My intent with the OPTIONS method isnt referring to a request
per se, but a feature in the server.  Actually, feature is probably
a bad word to use, since its being used to represent other things
than what I think Im talking about...

"Protocol implementation support" is too long, but thats kind of what
I mean.  Id like to know if X server supports a certain response
code. Or, "does this server support XYZ protocol enhancement".

Since some of the complex issues were separated into separate drafts,
presumably to become 'adjunct RFCs', for lack of a better term, Im
looking for a way to determine which adjuncts a server implements.
In the case of the 305/306, they will likely be defined after 1.1
spec is complete ( a possibility).

The cookie RFC and presumably a proxy-cookie draft->RFC would
fit this term.

I see this kind of like how TCP is really comprised of a number of
specs, which a TCP implementation should implement to be
considered generally compliant.

Therefore, I think that a modification to the OPTIONS method
or an additional header would suffice to determine
if an important capability is present.

Josh Cohen				        Netscape Communications Corp.
Netscape Fire Department	     	      "Mighty Morphin' Proxy
Server Engineering
josh@netscape.com                       http://home.netscape.com/people/josh/