Re: LAST CALL, "HTTP State Management Mechanism (Rev1) " to Proposed Standard

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:24:45 PDT
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
You have raised some (apparently new) objections to
moving "HTTP State Management Mechanism (Rev1)" to
Proposed Standard.

On the other hand, the working group has previously
issued RFC 2109, a Proposed Standard, which has serious
interoperability problems with currently deployed
software. (I assume you're familiar with this software).

So what do you recommend that we do? It seems intolerable
to have a Proposed Standard that we wouldn't actually
want to propose that people implement, and we should
move on this.

Withdraw 2109 (mark it Historical?) Document current
practice for cookies?

(If we proceed with this document, we should deal
with Yaron's comments on 4.2.2.)

Larry