Re: charsets again

From: Martin J. Duerst <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:45:26 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Wojtek Sylwestrzak <W.Sylwestrzak@icm.edu.pl>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Wojtek Sylwestrzak wrote:

[about preferred "charset"s for various regions]

> I wonder, do you feel that an informational document on this would be useful ?
> (this could in fact even expand a little more into recommendations for
>  email and usenet articles charsets.)

I definitely do. Recommendations for email and usenet may differ.
For example, in Japan, the situation is cristal clear for email,
but a mess for the Web.

The question is who should do it. For the Web, W3C might be a good
place. But not for the others. Also, it's a difficult issue.
One has to do a lot of research to know what is in actual use,
and one risks to be ignored.

Regards,	Martin.