Re: cache-busting document

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew@andrew.triumf.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:14:05 -0700 (PDT)
To: P.Lister@cranfield.ac.uk
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com, ircache@nlanr.net
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 P.Lister@cranfield.ac.uk wrote:

> I've just tried an experiment with my test https server and I can
> confirm that Netscape Navigator WITHOUT persistent SSL caching DOES
> NOT reload inlined images when the html page is pulled again (though

With Netscape 3.01, although I don't have access to
the https logs, according to "about:document" the inline images are not
cached unless I have "allow cacheing of secure images" turned on,
so they don't appear in "about:cache".
However, they *do* appear in "about:image-cache", which I guess is some
area in memory.

Apart from this private cache, https pages won't be cached in
hierarchical cache, and it's about 9 hops for me across town :-(

See http://andrew.triumf.ca/trys.html

Andrew