Re: ISSUE PROXY-AUTHORIZATION: Proposal wording

From: Phillip M. Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 18:14:06 -0400
To: dwm@xpasc.com, Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: koen@win.tue.nl, dmk@bell-labs.com, frystyk@w3.org, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

>>I guess you wouldn't want a creative proxy which would re-write
>>BASIC authentication into digest authentication either?
>
>I don't want proxies to be `creative'.  I think that HTTP/1.x should
>not allow creative proxies, and am against weakening MUSTs to allow
>such creativity.

???

A "Creative proxy" is just a gateway. In the HTTP spec proxy is simply
name for a gateway that has the particular property that the source
and

destination protocols are the same and the request processing does not
"alter" the request.

The spec can define what is and what is not a proxy but it cannot tell
you
what a gateway can or cannot do, nor can it tell you not to point your
browser
"proxy" resource to a server that is operating as a gateway rather than
a proxy.

Phill