Re: ISSUE: MUST a client wait for 100 when doing PUT or POST requests?

From: Josh Cohen <josh@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:00:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Cc: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>, "David W. Morris" <dwm@xpasc.com>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com, lawrence@agranat.com, rlgray@raleigh.ibm.com

> What is the basis of the client's belief that the server will react
> properly?  What does that even mean?  You explained that small POSTS
> are ok, but how small?  I would find it acceptable to specify a size
> and say the POSTS and PUTS larger than that size (or using chunked)
> require 100 Continue and others don't.

Do POSTs generally have a content-length: header?

What about if the heuristic was: if there's no content-length
 header or the header is there, but the length is > some value
 we agree on, the 100 continue must be used/waited for ?

Josh Cohen				        Netscape Communications Corp.
Netscape Fire Department
#include<disclaimer.h>
Server Engineering
josh@netscape.com                       http://home.netscape.com/people/josh/